• 29 High Street, Wealdstone
    Harrow HA3 5BY
  • 0207 096 1515
  • Request a callback
Blackstone Law Associates

Tell the Home Office

You must tell the Home Office when you divorce or separate from your partner if your visa is based on your relationship.

You must then either apply for a new visa or leave the UK.

Your visa is based on your relationship if you have permission to stay in the UK for a limited time as:

  • a dependant on your partner’s UK visa
  • a spouse or partner on a ‘family of a settled person’ visa
  • the partner of a British citizen, EEA national, ‘settled’ person with indefinite leave to remain, or someone with refugee status or humanitarian protection

How to tell the Home Office

Write a letter to the Home Office to tell them the relationship has ended - include your and your ex-partner’s:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • passport number
  • Home Office reference number (you’ll find it on letters sent from the Home Office)

If you or your ex-partner have children in the UK, you must also include:

  • their names and dates of birth
  • names of their parents or guardians, and who they live with
  • how much time they spend with you or your ex-partner
  • how much child maintenance or financial help you give each other
  • details of any family court cases you’re involved in

Forms you must send with your letter

Include one of these forms with your letter - use the:

  • Public statement: if you don’t want the Home Office to tell your ex-partner any details from your letter.
  • Consent form: if you’re happy for the Home Office to tell your ex-partner details from your letter.

Both forms give the Home Office permission to contact your ex-partner at the address you give.

Where to send your letter

UK Visas and Immigration
TM Marriage Curtailment Team
PO Box 99
M90 3WW

Do you need help with an immigration problem?

CALL US: 0207 096 1515