Life in the UK Test
You need to take the test as part of your application for British citizenship or settlement in the UK. You must book your Life in the UK Test online at least 3 days in advance. It costs £50. There are around 60 test centres in the UK - choose one of the 5 closest to where you live.
Prepare for the test
You’ll be tested on information in the official handbook for the Life in the UK Test - you should study this book to prepare for the test.
You’ll have 45 minutes to answer 24 questions about British traditions and customs.
Book the test
You need all of the following to book a test:
- email address
- debit or credit card
- an accepted form of ID
Accepted forms of ID
You can use one of the following as ID to book the test:
- passport - it can be out of date
- UK photocard driving licence - full or provisional
- convention travel document (CTD), certificate of identity document (CID) or stateless person document (SPD)
- EU identity card
- immigration status document endorsed with a UK residence permit on a passport with a photo - it can be out of date
- biometric residence permit
Contact the Life in the UK Test Helpline if you need help with your booking.
Life in the UK Test Helpline
Telephone: 0800 015 4245
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
When you don’t need to take the test
You don’t need to take the test if you:
- are under 18 or over 65
- have passed it before - for example, if you’re applying to become a citizen and already passed it as part of your settlement application
- have a long-term physical or mental condition - you must provide either a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition
What to bring to your test
You must bring the same ID that you used to book the test.
You must also bring proof of your address that has your name and post code on it. It must be dated within 3 months of the day of your test. This can be a:
- gas, electricity or water bill
- Council Tax bill
- letter from the Home Office with your name and address on it
- UK photocard driving licence
- bank or credit card statement
- Bank statements must be an original statement printed by your bank. If you don’t usually get paper statements, you can ask your bank for one. These statements must be stamped by the bank branch that gave you it.
If you pass the test
You must score 75% or more to pass the test.
You’ll get a ‘pass notification letter’. You must send the original with your citizenship or settlement application to prove you passed.
You’ll only get one copy of the letter - you can’t get a replacement.
Call the Home Office if you’ve lost your pass letter. You won’t get a new one but they’ll tell you what to do.
Home Office lost pass letters
Telephone: 03001 232 253
If you fail the test
You must wait 7 days before taking the test again, but you can take the test as many times as you need to. You need to book and pay again each time.
Need legal advice?
UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.
Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?
Competitive Fixed Pricing
We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.
Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access
You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.
Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.
Highest Success Rate
We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.