EU Settlement Scheme
The EU Settlement Scheme is open to resident EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members who started living in the UK by 31 December 2020 and who wish to remain in the UK after 30 June 2021.
If you're from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, you and your family might be able to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.
Deadline for EU Settlement Scheme
The deadline for most people to apply to EU Settlement Scheme was 30 June 2021 but you may be able to apply after the deadline as well.
Requirements for late applications
In some cases, you can still apply for the EU settlement scheme after 30 June 2021. You must have reasonable grounds for not applying by the deadline.
For example, if you’re joining a family member who was living in the UK by 31 December 2020, your deadline will be based on when you arrive in the UK, if:
- you were their family member by 31 December 2020 (this does not apply to children born or adopted after this date)
- the family relationship still exists when you apply
You can also apply if you can show ‘reasonable grounds’ (such as medical reasons or being the victim of domestic abuse) for why you did not apply by 30 June 2021.
Who has a later deadline to apply for EU Settlement Scheme?
For some people, the deadline of 30 June 2021 does not apply. This is true if you’re one of the following:
- the family member of someone from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein who was living here by 31 December 2020, and you join them in the UK on or after 1 April 2021;
- applying for your child, who was born or adopted in the UK on or after 1 April 2021;
- the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland, but they could not move back to the UK by 31 December 2020 without you - you must be from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein;
- exempt from immigration control, or you stopped being exempt from immigration control after 30 June 2021;
- here with limited leave to enter or remain in the UK (for example, if you’re here on a work or study visa) which expires after 30 June 2021;
- a family member of a British citizen who you lived within the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein - you must have lived with them in that country by 30 December 2020 and returned to the UK with them.
‘Reasonable Grounds’ for why you did not apply by the deadline
If you did not apply by 30 June 2021, or by the deadline for your circumstances if it’s later, you may still be able to apply to the scheme. You will need to have ‘reasonable grounds’ for why you did not apply by the deadline.
There are many different reasons that can be included as reasonable grounds for not applying by the deadline.
There is not a complete list - if you have a reason not listed here, you can still apply and your reason will be considered.
Need legal advice?
UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.
Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?
Competitive Fixed Pricing
We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.
Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access
You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.
Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.
Highest Success Rate
We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.