Our EU Law application lawyers can assist you with registration certificate as an EEA Qualified Person, if you are a citizen of the EEA or Switzerland. If an EEA national is exercising Treaty rights in the UK then s/he may request that s/he is issued with a registration certificate as confirmation of his/her right of residence under EC law. Application is made to the Home Office, UKBA using application form EEA (QP). Previously such application was submitted using application form EEA1.

The Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 applies and interprets the UK's obligations under the Free Movement of Persons Directive 2004/38/EC into domestic law. The right given to EEA nationals under these regulations is commonly known as free movement rights.

Switzerland is not part of the EEA, but Swiss nationals and their family members also have the same free movement rights as EEA nationals.

Right of admission and right of residence

An EEA national has the right to enter the UK. They must show a valid national identity card or passport issued by an EEA state. This right is given under regulation 11 of the regulations. Once admitted to the UK, an EEA national may live here for up to three months under regulation 13 of the 2006 Immigration (EEA) Regulation.

Regulation 14 of the regulations gives an EEA national an extended right to remain in the UK as long as they continue to meet the condition of being a ‘qualified person’. For more information, see link on left: Conditions of free movement rights.

EEA member states

Countries that are part of the EEA are known as member states. Nationals of these countries are known as EEA nationals. The member states include countries in the European Union (EU) and also Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway, who are not part of the EU. The list below shows the EEA member states in alphabetical order.

Austria | Belgium | Bulgaria |Cyprus | Czech Republic | Denmark | Estonia | Finland | France | Germany | Greece | Hungary | Iceland | Irish Republic | Italy | Latvia | Liechtenstein | Lithuania | Luxembourg | Malta | Netherlands | Norway Poland | Portugal | Romania | Slovakia | Slovenia | Spain | Sweden | United Kingdom

Nationals of Gibraltar have full British citizenship and are considered part of the European Economic Community. This means that people from Gibraltar have rights of free movement within EEA member states other than the UK. EEA nationals may also exercise free movement rights within Gibraltar.


On 1 June 2002 the agreement between the European Community, its member states and the Swiss Confederation on free movement rights came into force. The agreement gives Swiss nationals and their family members the same free movement rights as EEA nationals and their family members.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message