We can assist you in applying for an Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR as a refugee, if you have got a residence card as a refugee or as a person with humanitarian protection. We can also help you secure a Refugee or Humanitarian Protection status in the United Kingdom, if you believe you are unsafe in your country. If you have resided in the United Kingdom for five years, consult with our experienced solicitors to determine your eligibility and learn about the process of applying for Refugee or Humanitarian Protection.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants can apply for Refugee or Humanitarian Protection if they meet the following requirements:

  • Have resided in the UK for five years
  • Are a refugee
  • Are a person who has been offered humanitarian protection

The Home Office will reject applications for Refugee or Humanitarian Protection status if applicants have a criminal record or have been in prison. Applicants cannot apply for this status in person, but will need to either submit it online or post it.

They will also need to provide their biometric information, which includes a digital picture and fingerprints, and send them with the application. People should apply to live in the UK on this status in the last month of their permission to reside in the UK. For instance, if they are allowed to stay in the UK from May to July, they should apply in July.

Family Joining Applicants in the UK

The applicant’s partner or child can submit an application to join or remain with them in the United Kingdom if:

  • Applicants were separated from their loved ones when they forced to depart from their home country
  • Applicants who have been granted asylum or humanitarian protection for five years, but they do not hold a British citizenship

The applicant’s partner or child cannot submit an application to join or remain with them in the United Kingdom if:

  • Applicants have not received a decision on their asylum status
  • Are under 18

If the Home Office accepts an applicant’s request for Refugee or Humanitarian Protection, their family members will be permitted to travel to or remain with them in the United Kingdom.

Eligibility Requirements for Partner

Partner of the applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Provide proof of marriage
  • Provide proof of civil partnership
  • Provide proof of being in a genuine relationship for no less than two years

Applicants who are in a civil partnership or are unmarried, their partner can only apply to join them in the UK:

  • Applicants are granted humanitarian or refugee status on or after October 9, 2006
  • Applicants are in a live-on relationship for two years or have been granted humanitarian or refugee status after October 9, 2006

Both the applicant and their partner intend to be in a live-in relationship and continue their relationship after they apply to travel in the UK.

Eligibility Requirements for Children

Children of the applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Under 18
  • Will reside with the applicant and their partner
  • Are going to be supported financially by the applicant without claiming public funds
  • Are not in a civil partnership or marriage
  • Are not a full-time employee
  • Children born in the UK, but who are not British citizens are also eligible
  • Children over 18 can apply if they were granted as the applicant’s dependent when they received their original permission for asylum and leave and stay in the UK and if they were granted leave to enter or stay in the UK by submitting an application for family reunion

People living outside of the United Kingdom must apply online to reunite with their family member in the UK. Children and partners can apply to remain with the applicant in the UK if the applicant has humanitarian protection and refugee status, this is the first time they submitted an application, the applicant is already in the UK, and they can provide evidence of being in a relationship before the applicant was set to depart for the UK.


Applicants cannot include a dependant or a partner on their visa application if they already have permission to stay in the United Kingdom on another visa or they are currently residing in the country without permission.

You must meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message