A dependant is:

  • your husband, wife or civil partner; or
  • your unmarried or same-sex partner; or
  • your child aged under 18 years old.

Your dependant children can be over 18 years old if they are in the UK now as dependants.

If you are the partner or dependent child under 18 of a migrant who is in or coming to the UK as Tier 4 General Student, you can apply for a visa to join them in the UK. The Home Office, UKVI will grant leave in line with the expiry date of the Tier 4 General Student's visa. Tier 4 (General) students who will be studying in the UK for six months or less cannot bring their partners and/or children (also known as dependants) to the United Kingdom with them.

Entry Clearance As Tier 4 Dependant of Tier 4 General Student

If you are outside the UK and the Tier 4 General student is either applying for entry clearance as Tier 4 General student at the same time or Tier 4 General student is already in the UK, you can apply for entry clearance to join or accompany the Tier 4 General student in the UK.

The following criteria needs to be satisfied for you to be granted entry clearance as Tier 4 Dependant:

  • The Tier 4 General Student must be:
    1. a government sponsored student who is applying for, or who has been granted, entry clearance or leave to remain to undertake a course of study longer than six months; or
    2. applying for, or has been granted entry clearance or leave to remain in order to undertake a course of study at post-graduate level for 12 months or longer AND is sponsored by a sponsor who is a Recognised Body or a body in receipt of funding as a higher education institution from either:
      1. the Department for Employment and Learning in Northern Ireland;
      2. the Higher Education Funding Council for England;
      3. the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales; or
      4. the Scottish Funding Council; or
    3. applying for, or has been granted leave to remain as a Tier 4 (General) Student on the doctorate extension scheme.
  • The Tier 4 Dependant has to show the funds for maintenance to meet the living costs in the UK;
  • The Tier 4 Dependant has to show the availability of adequate accommodation in the UK occupied by the Tier 4 General Student for the Tier 4 Dependant to be accommodated in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • The Tier 4 Dependant should provide all the evidence of his/her relationship with the Tier 4 General studnet.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message