You can apply for permission to stay in the UK as a Turkish Worker if you’re a Turkish national and have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year as:

  • the spouse of a British or settled person without any restrictions on working in the UK
  • a holder of a work permit allowing you to work in the UK
  • a student allowed to work 20 hours a week during term time and full time during vacation periods

How long you can stay

The length of time you can stay and what job you can do depends on how long you’ve legally worked in the UK.

How long you’ve worked in the UK Length of permission to be in the UK What you can do
1 to 3 years Up to 2 years Continue to work for the same employer
3 to 4 years Up to 1 year Change employer, but in the same occupation
4+ years Up to 3 years Work in any occupation for any employer

You may also be able to apply to settle in the UK permanently.

You must apply from within the UK before your current permission to stay expires.

What you can do

You can:

  • include your family (‘dependants’) on this extension if they’re already in the UK, for example your partner and children switch into this category from another visa
  • switch into this category from another visa


To apply you must:

  • be a Turkish national
  • have legally worked in the UK for at least 1 year

You must have worked for the same employer for the period you’re quoting in your application.

Your application may be refused if you’ve broken any immigration laws in the UK. Instead, you may need to apply for a working visa.

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • a current passport showing you have permission to work in the UK, or other valid travel identification
  • 2 passport-sized colour photographs
  • proof of all your employment during your current stay in the UK, including original payslips and bank statements for the whole period you’ve worked here

You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

If you’re an au pair, you can send a letter from your host family if you don’t have payslips and bank statements.

You may need to provide a police certificate for yourself and your family.

Your job

You should also provide evidence (such as letters from current or prospective employers, open job application letters) that shows you’re planning to:

  • work for the same employer, if you’ve been legally employed for between 1 and 3 years
  • carry on doing the same type of job, if you’ve been legally employed for 3 years
  • work for any employer doing any job, if you’ve been legally employed for 4 years or longer

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message