If you want to apply for Tier 2 General work visa as a skilled worker or want to extend / renew your Tier 2 (General) visa, our UK immigration lawyers can help. You can apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa if you have been offered a skilled job in the UK. We aim to assist people, recognised for possessing a skill required by a business in the UK, to obtain a Tier 2 General Visa. If you have acquired a certificate of sponsorship from a certified sponsor to work in the United Kingdom, our solicitors will take care of all the paperwork to allow you to smoothly transition into your new work life in the UK.

Eligibility Requirements

To apply for Tier 2 General Visa, people must meet the following requirements:

  • Belong to a county outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland
  • Reference number from a certificate of sponsorship (the work a person does in the UK must relate to the industry of the organization that sponsored them)
  • Appropriate income
  • Able to speak, read, understand, and write English
  • Have funds of £945 to support themselves (bank account must show the amount for ninety days before they apply, unless they are exempt)
  • They do not require funds of £945 if their sponsor is completely approved, having received an A-rating, and they have clearly stated on the applicant’s certificate that they will not claim benefits while in the UK

People should apply for a Tier 2 General Visa at least three months before they are to start work in the UK. The date they need to go by is the date that is mentioned on their sponsorship certificate. They estimated time to receive a decision on their visa status is three weeks.

Sponsorship Certificate

Sponsorship certificate or certificate of sponsorship is a type of reference number, consisting of information about the applicant’s job role and personal details. The sponsor does not give an actual hard or soft copy of a certificate, but just a reference number of sponsorship.

The sponsor also provides additional information such as the salary of the applicant they have hired to work for them. The sponsorship certificate is valid for three months from the date the sponsor gave it to the applicant.

Appropriate Income

The job should pay £20,800 or more, unless applicants fall under the following categories:

  • An employee at a Jewish agency
  • Are a Tier 2 General Visa Holder before April 6, 2011
  • Work for a foreign owned airline as a member of their operational ground personnel
  • Are a minister of religion, member of a religious order, or a missionary
  • Represent a foreign newspaper, broadcasting organisation, or news agency
  • Hold a work permit
  • An unregistered nurse, earning an income of £16,271 while performing supervised practice or will earn an income of £21,478 after they have registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council, and the same sponsor will sponsor them after they have registered

Required Documents

Applicants must provide the following documents when applying for a Tier 2 General Visa:

  • Valid passport or travel identification
  • Black statements, stating the applicant has at least £945 in funds saved over the course of ninety days or their sponsor certification states they can provide them with accommodation their first month
  • Evidence that they meet the English language requirement
  • Tuberculosis test results if they belong to a country where it taking the test is mandatory

Visa Extension

Applicants must include any dependents on their visa such as their partner, children under the age of 18, or children who turned 18 while in the UK, when applying for visa extension under this visa. They should apply prior to the expiration date of their visa.

Eligibility Requirements for Visa Extension

In order to enter or remain in the UK, you should still meet all the previous Tier 2 General Visa eligibility requirements, including the appropriate income and sponsorship certificate requirement. Tier 2 General Visa holders can extend their stay in the UK for up to five years, keeping in mind their total stay does not amount to over six years.

Second Job Requirements

Tier 2 General Visa holders will need to acquire another Tier 2 General Visa if they want to secure another job in the UK that is not in the same field as their current job or is not categorised as voluntary work.

The second job should last up to twenty hours each week if it is on the shortage list without submitting another application. Your second employer will have to act as your sponsor to provide you with another sponsorship certificate if you are required to make another application.

Key Guidelines

People cannot apply for a second job if they have not started work at their first job and they cannot start at their second job, until their application receives approval.

Required Documents

With the application for a second job, applicants must include a letter, stating their reason they want to change their current permission to remain in the UK. The letter should state the following:

  • Name
  • DOB
  • First sponsorship certificate reference number
  • The date their permission to remain in the UK expires

You must meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message