We can assist in applying for a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa to the members of a faith-based community such as a missionary, ministry of religion, or a member of a religious order, who have been offered a job position in the United Kingdom. If you need efficient performance from capable solicitors, contact us.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants must meet the following requirements established under Tier 2 Minister of Religion visa:

  • Reside outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland
  • Official certificate of sponsorship reference number from a sponsor before they travel to the UK (the work they perform in the UK should relate to the work of their sponsor)
  • Can speak, understand, write, and read English
  • Show evidence to support themselves in the UK by having no less than £945 in funds for ninety days in their bank account prior to applying, unless they are exempt

Applicants can apply for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa up to three months prior to the day they are supposed to start work in the United Kingdom. They should receive a decision on their visa status within three weeks of applying.

Evidence of Funds Exemption

People will not need to provide evidence of funds if they reside in the United Kingdom and hold a visa in one of the below categories:

  • Work permit holder
  • Tier 2
  • Jewish agency employee
  • Work for an overseas airline as their ground staff
  • Missionary, minister of religion, or member of a religious order
  • Represent a news agency, overseas newspaper, or a broadcasting organisation

Additionally, the evidence of having £945 in funds will not be required if the sponsor holds an A-rating and have stated they will provide the applicant with accommodation and that the applicant will not obtain benefits while working in the UK.

Sponsorship Certificate

Certificate of sponsorship or sponsorship certificate is a reference number, providing details about the applicant’s job role and their personal information. It is not an actual paper document or certificate. The sponsor should also offer the applicant with assistance on how to apply for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa and inform them on their expected income. The certificate of sponsorship lasts for up to three months from the date it was given to the applicant.

Required Documents

Applicants must provide the following documents:

  • Valid passport and travel identification
  • Proof they meet the English language prerequisite
  • Bank statements as proof they have no less than £945 in funds in their bank account over a period of ninety days
  • Tuberculosis test results if the country they belong to requires them to take the test

Visa Extension

People can apply for a visa extension under a Tier 2 Minister of Religion visa. On their application to extend their stay in the UK, they must state any dependents on their visa such as a partner, children under the age of 18, and children who turned 18 while residing in the UK. They should apply before the expiration date of their current visa.

The same eligibility requirements apply when they originally applied for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa. They can extend their visa for a maximum of three years or the time stated on their sponsorship certificate in addition to the fourteen days. In total, applicants on this visa can only remain in the UK for up to six years.

Second Job Requirements

Applicants who wish to apply for another job in the UK will need to submit another application for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa if the new job differs from their current job role or is not voluntary work. If the job is on the shortage list, they can work up to twenty hours without applying for a Tier 2 Minister of Religion Visa again. Their second employer will have to sponsor them so they can receive another certificate of sponsorship.

Key Guidelines

Applicants cannot apply for another job if they have not started to work for their main sponsor and they cannot start to work at their second job if they have not received approval for their application.

Required Documents

Applicants will need to provide a letter with their application, stating they wish to change their current permission to remain in the UK. The letter should contain the following information:

  • Name
  • DOB
  • First sponsorship certificate reference number
  • The date their permission to remain in the UK expires 

You must meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message