Are you eligible for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa? We can help you determine your eligibility and handle the application process. If you are not eligible for this visa, we can recommend another visa you can choose to travel to the UK and one which is more appropriate to your situation. If you qualify for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa, our solicitors will assist you file all the necessary documents.

Eligibility Requirements

Applicants can apply got a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa if they meet the following requirements:

  • Reside outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland
  • Want to travel to the UK for a short duration for work or train, research or fellowship through a recognised government authorised exchange plan, or an Overseas Government Language Programme
  • Have obtained a certificate of sponsorship reference number from a recognised UK sponsor
  • Have £945 in funds in the bank account for ninety days, with the exception to this rule being applicants with a sponsor who holds an A-rating and have stated to provide them with accommodation and that they will not claim any benefits while in the UK

Sponsorship Certificate

A certificate of sponsorship or a sponsorship certificate is a reference number, containing the applicant’s personal details and job information. The sponsorship certificate lasts for three months, expiring from the date it was given to the applicant. However, sponsors can give the applicants a multiple entry certificate to allow them to travel in and out of the country.

Who can be a Sponsor?

A person’s work, research, or training must relate to the field of the sponsor before they can apply for a visa to travel to the UK. The following organisations can sponsor them to travel to the UK on a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa:

  • Companies heading a recognised exchange plan
  • Higher educational institutions sponsoring a researcher or a visiting examiner or academic
  • Government agency or department

Once they receive sponsorship, they can apply for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa, but must do it three months before the date they are scheduled to work. They should receive a decision on the status of their visa within three weeks.

 Required Documents

Applicants need to hand in the following documents when applying for a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa:

  • Valid passport or travel documents
  • Bank statements as evidence they have no less than £945 in funds in their bank account, kept continuously in their for ninety days, to prove their have sufficient money to support themselves while in the UK, unless their sponsor offers to accommodate them
  • Tuberculosis test results if the country they reside in requires them to take the test

Visa Extension

Applicants on a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa can apply for an extension to extend their stay in the UK. On their visa extension application, they must show any dependents such as their partner, children under 18, and children who turned 18 while in the UK who have come to the country as dependants. In order to apply for an extension, their visa must be valid, they must meet all the eligibility requirements, and they must reside in the UK.

Duration of Stay

Applicants can apply to remain in the UK for twelve months, if they there for work experience, and twenty-four months, if they are conducting training or research. They can also extend their stay for the duration of time listed on their sponsorship certificate in addition to fourteen days.

Switching to a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa

Applicants who meet the following eligibility requirements can switch to a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) Visa:

  • Student who is studying, giving an exam again, or is writing a thesis
  • Student nurse
  • Postgraduate doctor or dentist
  • Student union sabbatical officer
  • Tier 4 Visa
  • Sponsored researcher who travelled to the country on a work permit and wish to continue to work in the same occupation with the same sponsor

Applicants wanting to switch must have completed a bachelor or master’s degree in the UK during their last grant of leave. They must also show a sponsorship certificate reference number from a recognised sponsor in the UK and have £945 in funds in their account for ninety days before they apply or obtain a confirmation from their sponsor that they will not claim benefits during their stay in the UK. 

You must meet all the other eligibility requirements.

Need legal advice?

UK immigration law is extremely complex and constantly changes. The UKVI has strict criteria relating to different types of visa. Therefore, it is essential you get the right legal advice from an expert UK immigration lawyer to make sure your application is successful, first time. We will guide you through every step of the process, putting you in the best place possible to get a good result.

Why choose Blackstone Law Associates?

Competitive Fixed Pricing

We offer a fixed price service, this means the price you are quoted does not change; We work on fixed fees basis unlike other firms who charge you for each and every call and letter.

Dedicated Lawyer with Direct Access

You will have direct access to our qualified lawyers, with in-depth knowledge of UK Immigration law. Upon instructing us you will be allocated an experienced lawyer who will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.

Expert Advice

Immigration laws in the UK change frequently. Our team of lawyers are trained and are kept up to date on all the latest developments. We have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience. Our expert immigration lawyers can provide advice and the best possible option available for you.

Highest Success Rate

We are proud to claim that through our wealth of knowledge and experience we are able achieve the results that are needed. Our expert Lawyers put their full efforts in your case as we strongly believe in getting for you what you want.

Need help with immigration matter?

Speak to our immigration adviser to get legal advice & assistance.

Leave a Message